Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My quest for 300

In November my wife Rhonda bought a Wii game. It was an early Christmas gift and Rhonda thought it would be a great family thing to do during the Thanksgiving holiday.

Wii, if you’re not familiar, has a lot of fun sports games such as tennis, bowling, golf and boxing. These games are played with a remote control in which you need to wrap a little strap around your wrist so if you were to accidentally let go it wouldn’t fly into the television set.

You can also buy a lot more games – so many it would take too long to name them – and there’s a fitness program from Jillian on The Biggest Loser. That’s something Rhonda and I have yet to really try.

Well I love the bowling game. I would go as far as to say I’m addicted to it. I spend a lot of my free time playing the game and when you play by yourself you can bowl one game in about five minutes, then immediately start another.

When I first started bowling I was taking the two steps like a real bowler does and letting the ball fly. But the more I played the more I realized I didn’t need to act like a real bowler – just underhand the remote and let go of the button that releases the ball.

Since I have bowled so many games – wouldn’t surprise me if it’s well over 500 – I have found a groove. I know exactly where to line up and bowl and let’s put it this way, I normally score 250 or higher.

My goal is to bowl a perfect game – 300. That’s 12 consecutive strikes. I’ve come close time and time again in fact so close that recently I bowled a 299. That’s right, ONE lousy pin away from perfection.

I had 11 straight strikes and on my third and last roll in the 10th frame I left the No. 10 pin standing. Ask me how sick I was! Yet I was still proud of myself because I took a picture showing my score sheet. Eleven strikes, then a “9” for a 299 total.

I had reached 279 numerous times and a 280 once. But since the 299 game I have been determined to reach 300! Just last night I started the game with 10 strikes and the second roll of the 10th I left the frick’n No. 10 again.

Again I made it to the 10th frame needing just three more strikes and on my first roll guess what pin I left – No. 10! I personally think the game is rigged and it does not want you to roll a perfect game.

I WILL bowl a 300 one of these days. That’s a promise. In fact, I’m going to go back downstairs now and try again.

No comments: