Thursday, January 27, 2011

Max: what a blessing

A lot has happened in my life since the last time I blogged.

I’ve been battling cancer again since September and had surgery on my right pelvic bone on December 13. Same cancer – synovial cell sarcoma – I fought back in 2009.

I went through chemo and radiation prior to surgery and hyperbaric oxygen chamber treatments after surgery. I am cancer free at this time but currently going trough another stage of chemo that will end in May and I have to use a walker and wheelchair to get around.

I have not been released to drive again but each day I’m improving dramatically and ready to enter another stage in my life.

While the cancer thing has pretty much taken up not only my life but my wife’s as well the most important happening in the last four and a half months was the birth of our first grandchild. As we remembered 9/11 Weston Maxwell McDonough blessed us at 8 lbs 1 oz and 20.5 inches. “Max” is the son of my oldest daughter Amanda and her husband Mike.

Max was born in Memphis, Tn. but lives in Hernando, Ms., just 20 minutes south of Memphis across the state line. Max has no earthly idea but he has helped me tremendously during my current health issues.

When I’m not feeling good I remember I have the greatest grandson in the world. When I’m in a lot of pain I remember I’m a grandfather and what a blessing it is. Or when I’m feeling like I don’t want another round of chemo I remember the times I’ve been able to hold Max or make him giggle like I did earlier this week.

Max has truly been great for me more than he’ll ever realize. Despite the fact he is 8 hours away from Grand Prairie Amanda and Mike both constantly send us photos or videos of Max.

God sent Max to us for a reason. One reason: to help me forget about what’s troubling me.

No comments: