Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009: What a year to forget...

They say the older you are the more you appreciate things. How true.

I learned to appreciate a lot of things in 2009 and not take so many things for granted. For one my health.


I have always been in fairly good health. But on May 21 I was told I had cancer. Hearing the “C” word floored me and my wife, Rhonda.


A tumor on my left calf was malignant – Stage 3 Synovial Cell Sarcoma, a soft tissue cancer. Surgery would be required as well as the routine chemo and radiation.


We handled the news a little better than we thought. Instead of feeling sorry for myself I remained positive. Oh yeah it took a few days to get over the initial shock but I put it in God’s hands as did Rhonda. We were determined to beat it.


Surgery would require taking 90% of my calf, my Achilles tendon and possibly my fibula bone. In other words I would have to learn to walk again. And most important, we had to make sure the cancer was not in my bones.


Surgery would also require a plastic surgeon removing a chunk out of my back and placing the “free flap” over the wound. Because the tumor was so big – almost the size of a softball – there was not going to be enough skin to close the wound.


But prior to the surgery I began to realize just how important life really is. Mainly how important family and friends are. And, too, this had renewed my faith.


With prayers from my church congregation, family and friends I faced my surgery head on. And after watching my mother battle pancreatic cancer with a great attitude before she passed was also an inspiration for me to beat my situation.


Prayers were answered after a successful surgery. Removing the tumor went smoothly, attaching the free flap went without a hitch and the tumor had not spread. I was cancer free – a little crippled but cancer free.


I have been recovering now for five months since surgery and dealing with my cancer for over seven months. Hard to believe but as I mentioned earlier, I have learned a lot since that May morning when I heard the word malignant.

I have learned and felt the power of prayer. It works folks, just look at me. I have also learned the true meaning of the sickness and in health part of the marriage vow. My wife has been incredible, more than incredible.


I cannot describe how wonderful she has been throughout this whole ordeal. She has truly been a blessing. She was a blessing to begin with but now even more. I could not have made it through this without her. She has never left my side.


I just hope I can always be there for her in her time of need.


I have also learned that I don’t need to be in a press box every Friday night. As most of you know I’m a sports writer by trade and this was the first fall in 35 years I did not cover high school football. And the first fall since I was 4 years old I did not attend a high school game.


Being at home on Friday nights was fun. And being with Rhonda made it even more special. Oh I kept up with the scores, trust me, but not having to meet a deadline, interview players and coaches and write a lengthy story was nice.


And I swore a while back I would never give up sports writing.


2009 was not that great a year for me and my family. With Mom battling and eventually losing her battle with cancer, my cancer, Amanda and Mike moving to Mississippi and now my wife’s Uncle Bill passing and another aunt diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, it definitely has tested everyone involved.


So it goes without saying we are wishing a 2009 a big bye bye and hoping 2010 will indeed be in a “10”. Happy New Year everyone and God Bless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

2010 Will be the best year for you...
Happy New Year Bro....
CH