Friday, January 1, 2010

Resolutions? LOSE weight and blog more

We all say we're going to lose weight at the beginning of the year. That's pretty much on everyone's New Year's resolution list.

Well I can honestly say it is #1 on my list for 2010. I weigh more now than I have my entire life. Okay I'm not ashamed, well I am ashamed, but not ashamed to say I weigh as I type 236 pounds. TWO HUNDRED THIRTY SIX. Can you say The Biggest Loser?

Why do I weigh so much? Hang on a sec and let me take another drink of my Pepsi.

That's part of the problem right there. I'm still drinking way too many sodas. I just can't seem to give sodas up. You would think if I could give up smoking almost 30 years ago cold turkey I should be able to give up Pepsi's right?

The biggest reason I've gained so much weight lately is the fact I'm not exercising. I do have an excuse – I’ve been recovering from cancer surgery on my left calf in which I lost 90% of it as well as my Achilles tendon.

I cannot jog anymore and really cannot walk without the use of a cane. I spend most of my free time on the couch with my leg jacked up on three pillows because if I’m on my feet too long my left foot and ankle swell.

I have an excuse for that too. I am continuing hyperbaric oxygen chamber treatments for a couple of wounds on my leg that have not healed because of damaged skin from radiation. “Diving” every day the equivalent of 40 feet can sometimes wipe you out and make you very sleepy.

Plus chemo made me gain a lot, too. But a lot of that weight gain is fluids given along with the chemo. In fact, the first round of my chemo I gained 17 pounds in 36 hours – all fluids. After being given a diuretic and going to the bathroom every 20 minutes I lost those 17 pounds pretty fast. LOL

I can start a diet on Monday (Jan. 4) but I resume chemo. Then I will most likely finish up my hyperbaric treatments the following two weeks before another round of chemo. That means more time on the couch.

Hopefully once hyperbaric and chemo is done I can gradually start exercising again. I can definitely start cutting out the Pepsi’s and start drinking more water. I’ve been told by Rhonda a million times water is the way to go.

Rhonda and I used to walk for two hours on a regular basis but now that will be limited to maybe just a trek up and down my street or how my foot can handle. So it might take a while before the weight is gone.

My goal is to lose 20-25 pounds by July when Rhonda and I hope to take an Alaskan cruise to celebrate our 25th anniversary. My ultimate goal is to get back to my softball playing and wedding weight – 185 pounds.

That, however, may take two to three years.

And one last resolution – blog more often. I would love to blog every day but when you live a non-exciting life, it’s kind of hard. Maybe I’ll blog about my quest to lose weight?

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Greg, I totally have your back on your weight loss goal!! I went and got some dumbbells and "the biggest loser" workout video today!! I understand how hard it is to give up soda and it's on my to do list as well. LOL. I'm sure that if you are giving yourself until July you will be ready by then... I know it's hard when you can't work out, but kickin' the soda and making a few small changes will help. I'll keep checking on your progess!!