Friday, October 3, 2008

Goffinet Fair Day

Zach and Hailey, along with Hailey’s boyfriend, Joseph, are headed home for the weekend. That means a 5 ½ to 6-hour drive from Searcy, Ar., to Grand Prairie. Searcy is located 45 miles northeast of Little Rock.

Zach is bringing his beat up old Mustang while Hailey and Joseph will be in Hailey’s little yellow Chevy Cavalier. Oh yeah, the dog is coming home, too – Captain Fin.

They are coming home – Zach’s first visit home in almost six months – to go to the Texas State Fair. The annual Goffinet Fair Day is tomorrow which means me, Rhonda, Amanda, Zach, Hailey and Joseph will all be cramming into my truck and heading to Fair Park about 9:30 a.m.

Amanda’s husband, Mike, will not be able to attend this year’s Goffinet Fair Day. That’s just more junk to eat for us. It will be interesting to see how long Rhonda lasts – or me.

With Rhonda just having hernia surgery two weeks ago and with my knee the way it is – I had a hard fall at work last week when my knee locked, popped and buckled up causing me to fall – we both may eventually need wheel chairs.

Plus tomorrow is the annual Grambling-Prairie View football game in the Cotton Bowl. Grambling-Prairie View is not as big as Texas-OU weekend but it’s big enough. I’ve been told since it is a 7:30 kickoff the fair will not start to become crowded until about 4ish.

Normally by then we’re on the back stretch of our Goffinet Fair Day and planning to end the day. And the last several years we’ve ended our day by buying a lot of scratch-offs and a few quick picks from the Texas Lotto booth.

Can’t wait to see my kids. Even though it’s nice being an empty nester, you still miss your kids.

No comments: