Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I got your Howdy Folks!

Even though nothing really changes at the State Fair of Texas it is still a blast to go. This past Saturday me, Rhonda, Mike & Amanda (Mike was able to attend after all), Zach, Hailey and Hailey’s boyfriend, Joseph, all made the annual trek over to Fair Park in Dallas for a day of fun and, well, mostly eating.

Seems that’s all we do at the Fair is eat, eat and eat some more. It is tradition and this year was no exception. Rhonda – and Amanda – have long had this eating itinerary for years.

First it’s the Fletcher’s famous corn dog although I can honestly say it wasn’t that great this time because my wiener was cold. Did I say my wiener *giggle* I meant my corn dog wiener!

We always get a corn dog from the same stand every year near Big Tex. I got your Howdy Folks! Then it’s on to the Grand Place Building for fudge. Rhonda HAS to have fudge from this one fudge place every year. She says it’s her favorite, but everything is her favorite.

Just outside are all the food stands in front of the main entrance to the Cotton Bowl. And that’s where Amanda and Hailey get fried pickles. Now since I can’t stand fudge I dive into the fried pickles and Ranch dressing. Fried pickles are on a scale of 1 to 10 a solid 8.

After I eat my share of fried pickles – all seven of us shared – and after I pass a little gas from the corn dog and pickles it’s back to Fair Park Coliseum where the old Dallas Blackhawks used to play hockey. Psst, I’ve been to that arena many times in my younger days and had a few $1 beers.

There I received an electrical shock treatment for my gout that had my right hand swollen the size of what seemed like a watermelon. It was huge! Anyway this dude was trying to sell these little electric shock thingies for a cheap price of $300.

Zach had a 15-minute treatment first for his back. He said it was worth it and Rhonda suggested I try it for my hand. I gave her that whatever look and before I knew this little dude was hook’n me up.

The guy cranked it up and my arm went a twitch’n. It was the coolest thing ever. My “shooting finger” was going crazy and Amanda was snapping photos of it and videoing it. Amanda’s kind of weird like that.

After 15 to 20 minutes of my arm, fingers and shoulders moving uncontrollably and hearing this guy say I needed to eat cucumbers to make the gout go away, he unplugged me. Picture your arm falling asleep and when you move it all the blood starts flowing again. Know those little tingles? That’s how my arm felt.

Everyone swears the swelling in my hand went down and I admit for about 6 hours my gout felt better.

After that it was time to I think eat again. Yeah it was, this time, chicken fried bacon, one of the newest features this year. I was too busy trying to buy a coke I didn’t get any but Zach shared his with me. Not bad!

Funny thing was the food stand was across from where the baby pigs were! And Zach was like “hey little piggy I’m eating your mom!” It was funny you had to have been there.

A little while later we were eating yet again! After that we went to the games where Rhonda won two stuffed animals. Well one she selected a stupid looking chicken hat for one of her prizes. See Amanda’s blog and photo.

After that it was time to eat lunch. Yes I said lunch and on to the food pavilion. Wasn’t really lunch for me because I had a cinnamon roll. Joseph, absorbing what the entire Fair has to offer because his fair in Tennessee is not like ours, finally found him something to eat, a big plate of nachos.

While eating his nachos Hailey grabs a chip, dips as much cheese on it and hands it to Amanda, whose eyes were bigger than the fair because she wanted some! We all had a good laugh and it was time to leave.

After a while we headed to the Texas Lotto stand and Rhonda purchased a bunch of scratch offs. We all scratched off our tickets and actually won back the $20 Rhonda originally paid plus a few extra dollars.

Then it was time for me to get my annual turkey leg from my friend, Stanley Hill. Stanley and I worked together for years at Cardinal – Stanley is still there – and he spends his vacation every year to work with a group of friends at the Fair.

Stanley was kind enough to give me a free leg but to try and even things out I bought a coke. We headed towards the truck, me limping cause of my bad knee and in severe pain because my hand was hurting again.

We all headed back to the house, about five pounds heavier but well worth it. Joseph was in awe because of how big the fair grounds were. We still didn’t do as much as we would’ve liked but had a blast.

Maybe next year Rhonda and I will be healthy – Rhonda’s still recovering even though she won’t admit it from hernia surgery a few weeks ago – and maybe I will have a stronger knee, or new one, and not the gout.

I hate the gout! But the day was a fun. I wouldn’t mind going back out there again this year.

1 comment:

Amanda McD said...

I think it's a party foul to talk about gas on your blog...just sharing...