Saturday, October 18, 2008

So much for walking a couple of miles

For years Rhonda and I get up on Saturday mornings and walk. Sometimes we walk a couple of miles, sometimes three or four, depending on how we feel.

This morning was technically a short one – 2 miles maybe. I didn’t want to over do it with my knee and Rhonda just wanted to stay close in the neighborhood.

We also look for money when we walk. Pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters – whatever loose change we can find along the curb or in the street and parking lots. It’s been a hobby of ours for six or seven years and I would venture to say we have found well over $1,000.

We have even found the green stuff – $1 bills but mainly the small stuff. We found 66 cents this morning in a little over an hour which is a pretty good morning.

But the money has nothing to do with this posting this morning. It has to do what we did afterwards. And it wasn’t good, either.

I blame my youngest daughter Hailey. It’s her fault.

Along our walk this morning Rhonda and I stopped a garage sale in the neighborhood. Rhonda found a couple of things they could use at the daycare so she asked if she could put something in layaway.

Since we were just a couple of blocks away and had no money – we did have 66 cents worth of worn out pennies and a couple of quarters that had been ran over 100 times – we said we’d be back shortly to pay.

We hopped in Rhonda’s car and headed back to the garage sale. Rhonda called Hailey, whose home from school for the weekend and asked if she was hungry. Hailey said she’s not a big breakfast person unless it’s donuts.

You get an idea where this is headed?

Rhonda asked if I wanted donuts and I said sure why not. I said so much for our walk this morning huh and we both laughed.

Needless to say, we bought donuts. And the rest is history.

No comments: