Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Oooooh No! The GOUT!

I haven't blogged in a week. The gout attack in my right hand has kept me from doing a lot, including typing. But the hand is feeling better although my index finger is still a little stiff and throbs from time to time.

The gout normally attacks my right toes. The last bout was in May in my big toe. Amanda, my oldest, says in a very serious voice "Ooooooooooooh nooooooooo... the GOUT".

What is the gout? According to Websters:

1 : a metabolic disease marked by a painful inflammation of the joints, deposits of urates in and around the joints, and usually an excessive amount of uric acid in the blood 2 : a mass or aggregate especially of something fluid often gushing or bursting forth.

All I know it frick'n hurts! Gout is very painful - so painful it has me in tears at time. I'm on medication to get rid of the uric acids but I was told the older I get the harder the attacks will be. Amen to that - we're going on two weeks with my hand. And I went almost six weeks in my right toe.

So why so much uric acid build up? Well it's mainly because of my diet. I won't go into full detail but bottom line is I've got to start eating better. I need to lose the 12 pounds I've gained back after losing 25 in the spring.

The gout is very uncomfortable and makes my life miserable. Just the slightest movement and I want to say bad words. Words that my mom would wash my mouth out with soap!

And now that I have to eventually have knee replacement surgery things have become more complicated. My right knee, the one I had ACL reconstructive surgery on back in 1987 just weeks after Zach was born, locked, popped and gave out on me recently causing me to fall at work.

So after visiting Dr. James Pollifrone, the South Grand Prairie High School team doctor and orthopedic surgeon, it has been determined I will need in the 10 years, knee replacement surgery. I will definitely have to have it scoped here in the next few months to ease some of the discomfort but as Pollifrone said “your knee is shot to …..”.

I’ll be nice and not say the last word Pollifrone said but I’ll give you a little hint: it’s where the Devil lives. I have serious arthritis which the doctor who performed my surgery 21 years ago said I would eventually have and several bone spurs and no telling what else wrong.

So along with the gout and a jacked up knee, my life lately has been one painful saga. I know my wife is tired of me being hurt or suffering from the gout because I have not been able to do a lot of things.

It will get better – always does. Hmm, I wonder if Pollifrone can give me a knee similar to what the Six Million Dollar Man had….then when I jump or run fast you can hear this noise -- smbion.mp3

No comments: